Friday, September 30, 2011

The Point

In a true partnership, the kind worth striving for, the kind worth insisting on, and even, frankly, worth divorcing over, both people try to give as much or even a little more than they get. "Deserves" is not the point. And "owes" is certainly not the point. The point is to make the other person as happy as we can, because their happiness adds to ours. The point is -- in the right hands, everything that you give, you get.-Amy Bloom

As most of you should know, one of my goals as a part of the challenge is to stay out of relationships: no dating, no kissing, no sex NOTHING. I made this a goal because I realized that my biggest folly in relationships is not taking the time to get to know the person and getting an accurate feel for who they are, what they expect to put into a relationship and what they expect to get from me out of the relationship.

So often I found myself putting far more effort into making them happy than they were putting in to make me happy. Trust me, there's no crappier feeling than showing someone how much you care just to have them give you their ass to kiss in return. So, I broke off all ties with any exes and old flames, erased their numbers out my cell, deleted them on facebook and got rid of any old pictures, poems, letters or drawings in which they were the main subject matter.

I've been single for almost nine months now, and I must say I LOVE IT. I don't feel emotionally attached to anyone other than myself and my family. No more drama. No more arguments. No more dishonesty. Just me, myself and I to take care of. Don't get me wrong, at times it can be lonely to not have that special someone to curl up with or be goofy with, but I'll take a few hours of loneliness over a few weeks of headaches and drama any day.

Until I find someone who's willing to give what they get and vice versa, I'm just fine on my own <3




No comments:

Post a Comment